8/13/2010

BHO3473-HUMAN RELATIONS

this is the last one of VU's assignments. to be honest, i did not like this unit. i learned it in the summer school, and i thought 80 people were there to learn this unit. the structure was a little different in summer compared with the normal teaching period. everyday, the lecturer gave us some questions, and the after that, we need to hand it in. but in the normal teaching period, no this kind of assessment. and we need to write a lof of journals which i did not like...well...bad memory...
before i start, i receved the comfirm letter from the teacher, thanks godness.
OK, here we go~
here are three sample final eassy:

SAMPLE 1

Abstract


In this report, it describes a story between my friend Rex and me. In this story, it shows how our relationship changed from beginning to the end. We used to be good friends, but something happened between us, and made us both unhappy. In this report, it also discusses some problems we met, and then shows why these problems confuse us and what should I do to fix these problems. Meantime some theories learned from Human Relations will be applied to analyses these practical problems. Three key components will be discussed in the report, conflict management, I statement vs. U statement and how to deal with angry. These three problems made us feel unhappy with each other, and we fell apart from each other gradually. All of the problems happened to us were very common in the daily life, but I did not handle it well. So these made the relationship between us changed. At the end of essay, some guidelines are applied to avoid future deterioration.

Introduction

Rex and I knew each other at the beginning of 2008. We met on the tutorial of Microeconomic Analyses. There was a group assignment in that subject. Rex and I formed a group, and we became friends. After that, we often ate out, went shopping and hung out together. Although there were some conflicts happened between us, but most of them were not a big deal, they didn’t affect the relationship of us. When we worked together, something made me angry, but I blamed him severely. Both of us were unhappy with that. Finally, the friendship dissolved. Next, I will describe the details about it.

Discussion

At the end of last semester, I saw an advertisement on the board of school, and it said that the West Footscray House needs some cleaners. Also I told this news to Rex, and invited him to work with me. He agreed with me. Then I called the manager of the House. She said both of us could work there. She told us the work time was between 7:30 am and 9:00 am. My duty was changing the bed covers and bed sheets. Also Rex as a teammate of me, he dealt with the bathroom. We cooperated well during the first week. But in the second week, Rex caught a cold, and he didn’t feel well during the work. He could not finish his work on time. But when the manager checked our work, she saw we could not finish the work on time, she blamed me and asked me why I haven’t helped him to finish his work. This situation happened at least three times within one week, and I said nothing to her when she blamed me, because I think she was the manager, at least I should give her some respect. But on the third week, she blamed me again as the same reason. I said to her the bathroom was not my duty, I have no responsibility to its cleanliness. Meanwhile I had a lot work to do, if I had time I will help him, but in the fact, I didn’t have time to help him. And she always blame me but didn’t not according the fact, I could not stand it. So I quit. And she said it was fine, I could quit from the job.

After went back home, I called Rex, and said: “I am very angry with you. Your duty is cleaning up the bathroom, why you can’t finish on time. If you can’t handle it, you should talk to the manager. Do what you should do, OK? You always keep silence when you in trouble. Say something, OK?” After that, Rex was very angry too, I could feel that from his voice. He said: “I do want to talk to her about my problem. But my situation can’t do that. I thought you are my friend, you could understand me. But now, I recognize I am wrong. Another thing, don’t talk to me in that way again.” Then he hanged up the phone even without saying goodbye. After this thing, we haven’t talked to each other. And a few weeks later, he went back his hometown.

In this story, I made 3 mistakes so that made the friendship worse.

Firstly, when I had a conflict with the manager of the House, I used “Avoidance Style” before I quit the job. Because I didn’t think the goal and relationship between manager and me are important for me. The result was not good for both of us, because after quit it, I had to find another job, and the manager had to find another guy to replace me in a short time. The conflict is very common in our life, it is more than a disagreement, incompatibility between partners, or partner opposition; it is an enduring or persistent element of interaction. Because it endures, it can also change and develop in form over time.’(John. G, Brant. B, 2003). David W. Johnson stated that conflict is a kind of natural interpersonal storm we cannot avoid it which has its origins in relationships among individuals. But in my story, I didn’t cope with the conflict well, in contract, the conflict made me angry. There would be a better way to resolve the conflict. I should do as “Owl”- Needs of both parties are seen as legitimate and important. I should explain why Rex couldn’t finish his work on time and why I could not help him when the first time the manager blamed me, so that she could understand the situation better. And she won’t blame me again, the conflict won’t go further. At last, I could continue the job and she need not find a new guy. That’s the win/win strategy. I didn’t do it in that way. In contract, I called Rex after went back home, and then the thing was getting worse.

Secondly, when I had conflict with other person, I haven’t control my emotion well. I got angry because of conflict. Anger is very common in our daily life as well as conflict. As Aristotle states “Anyone can be angry- that is easy. But to be angry with the right person to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and the in the right way-that is not easy.” I was angry with the wrong person. The guy made me angry was the manager but not my friend Rex. But I expressed my emotion in a wrong way to a wrong person. In our daily life, the anger happen when we are frustrated, thwarted or attacked. When you are angry, you cannot express your feeling and take in the information from other people. If we continue to communicate, it will create dislike, frustration, and even conflict or revenge. Under that situation, I should negotiate with the manager but not angry with Rex. Negotiation is a good way to fix the conflicts. Negotiation is the process whereby people attempt to settle what each shall give and take or perform and receive in a transaction between them. (Rubin & Brown, 1975) As L.M & Lynn states, the negotiation process can be divided into four phases, first building a good relationship; second talking about the business deal; third persuasion, bargaining, and making concession; finally making a final agreement. At that time, I had a chance to negotiate with the manager, but I gave it up. When I didn't feel well, I put all of anger to Rex, and made myself out of control.

Thirdly, when I expressed my anger, I use a lot of U statement to blame Rex. That was made the friendship breakdown. When we communicate with others, using I statement is always better than U statement. The reason is that I statement direct describe how and why I feel as I do. Others can easier understand my opinion clearly and honestly through my I statements. That was very important in communication. In contrast, You statement, which usually includes the blame, is hard to understand the thinking and also easy to make barriers during the communication. In that situation, I just want to express my anger, but not blamed Rex. But through the phone, Rex thought I was blaming him, because I use so much U statement. That made a misunderstanding between us. From this, it also indicates that the non-verbal language is very important during the communication. Because our conversation was via the phone, Rex could not see my eye and my body language, so he thought I was blaming him. But if we did a face to face communication, we could use verbal and non verbal language to communicate. The non verbal communication can make our communication more effectively and easier. Non verbal communication include gestures, posture, facial communication, space communication, touch communication and paralanguage. The smile and eye communication can make others would like to communicate with you. Obviously, it was not a good idea to use the phone to communicate under that situation.

After studying the Human Relations, I recognized my fault, and I find a way to fix these problems. The first problem is between the manager and me, though I felt angry with her, but I will forgive her. As David (2006) said, ‘an effective way to free you from anger is through forgiveness…forgiveness involves giving up negative thoughts…negative feeling…and negative behaviours.’

The other problem is about me and Rex, I should apologize to him. He was a scapegoat in that situation. I should not put my anger to him, which was not fair to him. He will come back to Australia soon, and then I will call him to make a face to face conversation. This time, I will use I statement instead of U statement. Also using some non verbal language with my verbal language so that make the conversation goes well. The purpose is that re-built the trust between us. Establishing trust is the first thing to save our friendship. As Deutsch (1962) states that “trust- you are in a situation where a choice to trust another person can lead to either beneficial or harmful consequences for your needs and goals.” I believe that after a good conversation, Rex and I will be good friends again.

Conclusions

In this essay, it describes how the friendship between Rex and me breakdown. It was just because of a small thing. But I failed to manage the conflict, and then I put all my anger to Rex with some uncomfortable words. I made three mistakes in the story. But past is past, if I have a chance to do that again, I will change the way to manage the conflict and my emotion, also change a way to talk to the other person.

From this story, it also indicates some weakness about my interpersonal communication. Firstly, sometimes I could not handle the conflict well. Secondly, I should learn how to express my emotion. Thirdly, I use so many U statements when I am angry. All of these are not good for me to communicate with other person. I must change my way to communicate so that I can make more friends.

Reference list

David, J. (2006) Ninth edition, Reaching Out

Deutsch, M. (1962), cooperation and trust: some theoretical notes., University of Nebraska

John, O. and Brant, R. (2003) Handbook of Communication and Social Interaction Skills

Johnson, W. and Johnson, R. (1995). My mediation notebook (3rd edition) Edina, MN: Interaction Book Company

L. M and Lynn.S. (1995) ‘Business Across Culture' Longman N.Y

SAMPLE 2:

My relationship with other residents in Sunbury Student Hall looked at from the perspective of increasing communication skill and improving conflict management


Summary

In this report I will give a statement about what is the relationship between other residents and me. And I will discuss some problems I encountered with other residents. Then I will figure out why these problems confuse me and how can I cope these problems. Meantime what theory I have used from Human Relation lectures and tutorials to assist myself to solve these practical problems. What is the result? What potential solution can be used and how does it work? Finally, through this experience what I find about interpersonal strength and weaknesses, and what I have learned.

Introduction

I am one of the Resident Life Team members (RLT) who live in Sunbury Student Hall of Victoria University. RLT member is part time official staff in VU who is basically around the accommodation to give residents support, first aid, cheap meals and outings. We are also save people if there is an emergency. We will be a consultant when residents have problems. And we want to ensure offer a safe and secure place to all residents. Our motto is “make sure your time spent here is awesome”. But the job is not easy to do. I always encounter many problems which are hard to solve. First of all, drinking problem is one of the serious problems here. You can frequently see someone hold a beer, wine or vodka who sit in lounge or walk around. When weekends are coming, people always hold alcohol party. They are drinking, singing and dancing. Unfortunately, not all the people want to control themselves until they drunk. People who drunk will lose mind and conscious and they are shouting, laughing, crying, fighting even naked running which interrupt other residents’ sleeping time. When I receive the complain call from others, I try to persuade them ease them but it not work to drunk people. Sometime the situation will be worse when I asked them to stop drinking. They possible drink more and shout to me. Another main issue is about administration. To be a RLT our responsibility is to keep a safe and healthy place for residents. Therefore we make rules which everyone should follow. However not all the residents obey it, they leave the dirty dishes in the sink without washing for a long time, mess the kitchen and lounge, put the recycle stuff into the rubbish bin, and not take back vacuum cleaner, mattress, and door key on time. I will use the topic of communication skills and conflict management to help me. These two theories can enhance my ability to know these problems and find out how to solve them. Basically, I get along well with other residents and everyone is my friend, therefore when I am on duty it is hard for me to stop singing in the room or drinking in the common room. The good relationship between residents and I will hinder me sometimes.

Discussion

Trenholm and Jensen (2000) stated that, communication is a process that sender transmits a message to receiver by some channels. Effective communication between sender and receiver can make receiver understand what sender wants to say clearly and avoid potential conflicts. To drinking problem, effective communication is quite important. Before people drunk or beginning of alcohol party, I should talk to all attendants learn to control themselves do not drink too much. This oral warning will remind parts of people when they enjoy the drinking. Even someone drunken appropriate communication is still working. Firstly, be patient to listen what they what to say, do not interrupt them and let them to release bad emotion. Then, clarify what I what to say simply. Drunken people cannot identify confused statement. Therefore I just need to say “you have drunk too much do not drink more”. Then, proper using non-verbal communication to facilitate the conversation such as nod to show agree with him or her, touch shoulder to show care and understand. Body language and gesture are also can transmit feedback to speaker which proves I listen seriously what he or she say. Do not take some aggressive posture or gesture, it will worsen the situation. The last thing what I will do is talking the drunk residents again by “I statement” when he or she wakes up. Now he or she under the conscious, I can ask he or she do not drink too much and what happen yesterday, and how embarrassing at that time. Make sure he or she guarantees he or she will control himself or herself next time. At the same time I will make a relationship statement to build or maintain the relationship. Johnson (2001) claimed that a relationship statement is talking about how you think the relationship between you. Through learning of communication skill, I know what communication is, how communication works, and how to effectively communicate with each others. And I understand this drinking problem more. The theory enhances my ability to solve this problem and also help figure out some solution.

David W. Johnson stated that conflict is a kind of natural interpersonal storm we cannot avoid it which has its origins in relationships among individuals. Especially two people act complementary roles, storm will arise. In the case of administrative problem, residents and I act the complementary role that is why the conflict arises frequently. When residents breach the rule in Student Hall, I have to ask them to stop and sometime charge them fees for punishment which will cause disagreements, disputes or quarrels. Follow the theory of conflict management; I should understand interests of conflicts firstly. “A conflict of interest exists when the actions of one person attempting to reach his or her goals prevent, block, or interfere with the actions of another person attempting to reach his or her goals”. (Deutsch, 1973) The conflict of interest between residents and I is agreeing on something. I ask them to obey the rules but they think it is not a big deal. Then, I will use the five basic strategies properly to resolve the interest conflicts. If someone who breaches the rule which relates to the health and safety of other residents for example someone who take the glass bottle of drinking (residents who live here always walk without shoe) or people sing songs after 11pm affecting others’ sleeping or studying, I will use the strategy of the shark which means I will achieve the goal at all costs. Keep health and safety of residents is my responsibility, the goal is more important than relationship. Therefore, I will stop the rule breaker and tell what they have done is forbidden. In other hand, if people who breach the rule which is not quite important such as not take back the vacuum cleaner on time or not wash the dish in the sink, I will utilize the strategy of the owl which is means goal and relationship are important to me. Do not take back vacuum cleaner is really a small thing, I just need to talk them take back vacuum quickly. When we have a conversation, using sense of humor is very useful. Johnson said that, in 1995, laughter can help people involved in conflict resolve the tension and help them think how to solve it.

I am an oversea student, sometime language barrier and difference of culture will confuse me. I cannot give feedback in time when people communicate with me. Therefore it hinders the solution of the above problem I have stated.

Developing and maintaining trust is another theoretical solution to resolve above problem. Deutsch in 1962 defined trust as “you are in a situation where a choice to trust another person can lead to either beneficial or harmful consequences for your needs and goals. Thus, you realize there is a risk involved in trusting.” Establishing trust is the foundation to develop a good relationship. In that case I have discussed that if all residents trust me and there is a good relationship among us, they will obey the rules I have told them.

Conclusion

To be a RLT member drinking problem and administrative problem is the main problem confused me. Fortunately, the theory of communication skills and conflict management help me know these problems, improve the ability of problem solving and resolve these problems. Basically, the solution resolves problems. However, sometimes the problem will occur again which is no longer a hard one. Developing and maintaining trust is another useful solution, but it will take long time to carry out. Establishing trust between different people is not an easy process. By this exercise I know myself more than before especially in interpersonal ability. I am good at trust others. People like to believe me and share their own experience. I am also a good listener when people are talking I will be there and listen patiently whatever if I am interested in the subject. I think listen to people who is talking patiently is a kind of respect to the speaker. The weakness of me is that I am lack of communication skills and I do not really know how to communicate with others. Learning from the theory of communication skills I have already mastered the main components and enhanced the communication ability.


Bibliography

David W. Johnson, reaching out, 9th edition, page 138, 252

Deutsch, M. (1973), the resolution of conflict, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press

Deutsch, M. (1962), cooperation and trust: some theoretical notes. In M.R. Jones, Nebraska symposium on motivation, University of Nebraska Press

Johnson, D. W., and Johnson, R. (1995b). My mediation notebook (3rd edition) Edina, MN: Interaction Book Company

Sarah Trenholm and Arthur Jensen, interpersonal communication, 2000, 4th Edith, page 4

SAMPLE 3

Abstract:


My relationship with one of my housemates looked at from the perspective of managing the emotion and negotiation effectively. As everybody know, Human relations plays most important roles in our daily life. Moreover, as Pakenham (1994 p147) defined that “Life in an advanced industrial society can lead us to believe that we are no longer dependent on our natural environment”. When we conflict with others, we should know how to managing our emotions and resolve the problems through effective negotiation. I will list the example of the conflict with my housemate in my life, and then analyze the conflict and find out the way of resolving the conflict with relevant theories. Forgiveness is an effective way to free myself from anger is and expressing yourself and negotiation will keep others from getting angry. While the strategy of negotiation, Win-win outcome, is recognized the best way to solve conflicts.

Introduction:

One of my housemates always found the flaw in my life. Sometimes, she asked me why I close the door loudly but I just slowly close the door and the noise comes from the involuntary voice of closing door. In addition, all of us came to the narrow kitchen to cook dinner at 6:00pm and the dishware was limited. One day, I saw that a girl used a basin to wash the vegetable. Therefore, I only found a boiler to wash my vegetable and dipped it in. A few minutes later, she looked at me with a disagreeable expression and said “all of us should choose the boiler instate of the basin to wash the vegetable. Following that, we can cook more expediently and do not need to change the dishware. When we finish washing, we can cook sequentially.” I heard her words and felt very angry. I never thought that washing vegetable in the boiler is convenient. I nearly disputed with her right now but not. I think we should resolve the problems through applying the theories which learnt from Human Relations, because our conflict happened nearly everyday which makes me very confused and even cannot sleep.

On the one hand, we should manage our anger. Anger is one of the most common emotions in the conflict. As David (2006) stated, ‘anger is a defensive, emotional reaction that occurs when we are frustrated, thwarted, or attacked.’ Anger is a natural human feeling, so everyone has the right to get anger. However, the result of the anger expressing can be either destructive or constructive. The destructive anger expressing may make our life disorderly and unsystematic. When we express angry destructively, our conflict cannot be controlled, and it may creates dislike, and irritability, depression and even some physiological problems such headache, because of repressed anger. In contrast, expressing anger constructively can make our life more comfortable, productive, and exiting. We will feel more energy and motivation and the others will feel more friendship, goodwill and gratitude. As a result, we should consider whether express our anger and how to express it before we suffer from the conflict with others.

On the other hand, after expressing the anger, I should negotiate with people who I conflict with. Negotiation is the process whereby people attempt to settle what each shall give and take or perform and receive in a transaction between them. (Rubin & Brown, 1975) Negotiation is a method of alternative dispute resolution, typically evidenced by trained negotiator acting on behalf of a particular organization or position. Compare this to mediation where a disinterested third party listens to each side’s arguments and attempts to help craft an agreement between the parties. Negotiation is a kind of art of communication. It is a tool to help people to solve the problem in the daily life. Almost everyone in the society has been negotiated with someone. Everyone is the negotiator. Whether in workplace or in family, people always reach the decisions through negotiation. You may negotiate with your friends to decide where to have a dinner. You discuss with your boss about the wages you are willing to get based on your owe ability. And you may also bargain with sale person for a brand new product. Definitely, negotiation is a part of people’s lives! It is a pervasive and important form of social interaction (Lewicki&Litter, 1985). Negotiation is an essential for anyone who wants to accomplish their goals.

Discussion:

I should manage our anger constructively in this situation for overcoming the problem.

There are four steps to manage my anger. Firstly, I should recognize that I am angry. Anger is a normal feeling and everyone cannot keep away from getting angry. Anger cannot vanish, but erupts when we suffer the provocation. So I need not fear or reject the anger. Secondly, I should clarify the other’s intent. Before expressing my anger, I should observe what actually occurred in other person’s action and make sure whether the provocation is deliberate. Thirdly, I will decide whether or not express my anger and how to express it. In this step, I should consider the risks of expressing anger and not expressing anger. If I decide do not express the anger, I must first free me from anger through doing physical exercises, psychological detachment and relaxation. As David (2006) said, ‘an effective way to free you from anger is through forgiveness…forgiveness involves giving up negative thoughts…negative feeling…and negative behaviours.’If I decide express the anger, I should decide express anger directly or indirectly. Finally, I should analyze my anger management. Through analyzing the origin of my anger and the signal of becoming angry, I can find out the regularities of my anger. Consequently, I can try my best to avoid getting angry.

In addition, I should find the way to deal with angry person. As David (2006) shown, ‘when the other person gets angry at you, the first step is for you to control your own feeling.’ Then, I should understand that anger is natural human feeling, so everyone has right to get angry. Finally, I can deal with other person’s anger through separating the other’s anger from aggression, keeping focusing attention on the task, using other emotion to help angry person control and presenting a rational explanation of the situation. In my case, I choose the final method, explanation, to keep that girl from anger.

In my example, I apply this four-step managing anger method to control my anger and make the girl understand that my behavior is not deliberate. Through analyzing from first step to the third step, I discover that I cannot reject anger and the anger cannot go on hiding my feeling, because the conflict happen frequently and I suffer from physical and psychological problems, as well as, impact my life negatively. As a result, I should decide to express my anger directly. Initially, I should describe that girl’s behavior and my feeling of anger. As everyone knows, others cannot make us angry, but the anger comes from our understanding of other person’s behavior. In my situation, I only hear the disgruntled words from that girl, but do not consider why she is displeasure. Therefore, I should find out the rootstock of the girl’s displeasure. In her words, I find that she make mistake with my behavior, and express her anger through put-down and sarcasm, which is bad way to express anger. Following that, I should describe my anger assertively through verbal and nonverbal message, especially, using ‘I statement’ instead of ‘YOU statement’. In my case, I said to her, ‘I know that you are so laborious. You keep our kitchen very clean and we have a comfortable environment to cook. Thanks very much. All of us want to have a dinner as soon as possible and no exception with you. But the kitchen is too narrow and the dishware is limited. I never thought that washing vegetable in the boiler is convenient. I only used boiler to wash, because you wash vegetable in the basin and I have not any other dishware to wash. When I heard your words, I felt so heart-struck. We are the friends and should help and understand each other. Previously, I always waited for your finishing cooking and then cook my dinner. However, I found that you always started cooking at nearly 6:00pm and finished it at nearly 10:00pm. My friend and I start to cook at 10:00pm everyday. I felt too hungry everyday and it is bad for our health. So I cook with you today.’

Though manage my emotion, anger, the girl and I’ am relationship is as good as or even better than ever. We understand the behaviors between us are not deliberate and aggressive. I release pent-up emotion by explanation, and then my physical problem disappears. I can have a good dream. Through solving this conflict, I find that the more positive feeling I express, the less angry both of us will be.

Furthermore, I should solve the problem through negotiation. The conflict is common in our life. ‘In the context of intimacy, moreover, conflict is more than a disagreement, incompatibility between partners, or partner opposition; it is an enduring or persistent element of interaction. Because it endures, it can also change and develop in form over time.’(John O. Greene, Brant Raney Burleson, 2003). To solve the conflicts, we have to be negotiators and negotiate with the others. Learning to use the negotiation skills is something very important in the daily life. Though negotiation process, we are looking the best solutions of the conflicts. ‘By the definition an outcome can be described as win-win, if both parties come out better; win-lose, if one comes out better and one worse than before; lose-lose, if both parties come out worse, or zero-sum.’(John S. Odell, 2000). Therefore, the win-win outcome strategy would be the best choice for us, which is a powerful and useful solution. ‘The negotiation process can be divided into four phases, first building a good relationship; second talking about the business deal; third persuasion, bargaining, and making concession; finally making a final agreement.’ (L.M&Lynn,s. 1995)

In general, the steps for successful negotiation according to text book are: firstly, I should orient towards a win-win approach. I have more chance to reach an outcome of win-win, if I approach the negotiation wanting to reach this kind of win-win out-come. It is crucial to determination to find a mutually satisfactory resolution. Secondly, before the negotiation, I should design a plan about how to negotiate. ‘Try figure out the best resolution you can expect, what is fair and reasonable deal and what is a minimally acceptable deal’ (E. Wertheim, College of Business Administration, Northeastern University). Thirdly, I should choose the best alternatives to make the negotiation successful. Fourthly, I should separate people from the problem and try to maintain a rational, goal oriented frame of mind. Fifthly, I should consider the other person’s situation focus on interests not positions I should try to find the interests what have under-lied the interests-parties. As Lyons (2007) shown, ‘What interests are in negotiation? They are needs, desires, concerns, fears—the thing one cares about or wants.’ I need to be clearer about the interests because it may not be easy to be found! Finally, I should pay a lot of attention on both external factors and internal social and psychological factors of negotiation. Also I should spend more time listening than talking and make direct eye contact. Use the word "and" instead of "but" helps to send the signal that I am interested in the other party and are seeking common ground.

In my case, I apply the negotiation to solve the problem. After analyzing the negotiation method, I found that our timetable is different, so we cannot have a dinner together. However, I suggest that we can design a timetable about cooking dinner. Everyone should cook follow the timetable and finish cooking as soon as possible. The first person should start at 5:00pm. Then, I showed her my suggestion timetable below: (A: my and my friend, B: the other four girls)


Finally, I pointed out the action required. “We must keep a clean environment to the next people who want to cook. Therefore, we should wash the dirty dishware when we finish cooking and then we can have a dinner.”


After my negotiation, she felt so shamefaced and said “I am sorry about my words and inconvenient for you before. I never thought about your feeling. I think the cooking timetable is scientific, appropriate and convenient. We will cook follow the timetable.” The negotiation result a win-win outcome.

Conclusion:

In my case, I get the success to overcome the problem between my housemate and me. Initially, I express my anger directly in an honest and appropriate way. Then, I keep the girl from anger though describing my behavior. Finally, through negotiation, we agree to design a timetable and cook the dinner following the timetable. From this exercise, I learn that we should manage our emotion constructively and more express positive emotions. When we suffer the conflict, we should resolve the conflict through negotiation instead of sarcasm.

•Bibliography:

David W. Johnson (2006) Ninth edition, Reaching Out

E. Wertheim, College of Business Administration, Northeastern University, viewed April 21, 200.7

http://web.cba.neu.edu/~ewertheim/interper/negot3.htm

John O. Greene, Brant Raney Burleson, 2003, Handbook of Communication and Social Interaction Skills

John S. Odell, 2000, Negotiating the World Economy

Lewicki & Roy, 2007, Essentials of negotiation, McGraw-Hill/Irwin, Boston Fowler, Alan, 1990, Negotiation: skills and strategies, Institute of Personnel Management, London.

L. M& Lynn.S. (1995) ‘Business Across Culture' Longman N.Y

Lyons, Carl, 2007, I Win, You Win: The Essential Guide to Principled Negotiation, London: A & C Black, 2007

Pakenham, K.J. (1994) Making Connections: An Interactive Approach to Academic Reading CUP UK

BTW, this essay needs to use TURN IT IN system, so, when you decide to use the above essays, you need to be careful

No comments:

Post a Comment